Lincoln City Libraries 150th Birthday Retrospective

The property of the Lincoln City Library Association was conveyed by deed to the City of Lincoln and the Lincoln City Library was established on July 25, 1877.

Old Main

Old Main, built at 14th and N Streets, was the first Carnegie Library in Nebraska.

Old Main, c. 1902
Old Main, early 1900's with horse-drawn carriage
Old Main entrance with Library staff, 1912
Old Main interior, reading room
Old Main interior, reading area and loan desk
Old Main interior with windows
Old Main interior reading area
Old Main interior with Loan Desk, 1912
Old Main exterior, 1912

Northeast Branch

The Northeast Branch was built in 1909 at 27th and Orchard Streets. It was paid for with donations from citizens of the area. The cost of the lot was $1,154. Andrew Carnegie provided $11,000 to construct the library building on the lot provided. Northeast Library finally closed its doors on August 27, 1982, after 73 years of service.

Northeast Branch exterior, early 1940's
Northeast Branch Interior, early 1940's
Northeast Branch exterior with brick street, date unknown
Northeast Branch Interior, June 1970

Havelock Branch

Built in the town of Havelock, Nebraska in 1907, with funds from Andrew Carnegie, this library was frequently used by Lancaster County residents. When the City of Lincoln annexed Havelock in 1930, the library became part of the Lincoln City Library system.

Havelock Branch exterior, 1907