Lincoln City Libraries' Digital Downloads from OverDrive provides a collection of downloadable audiobooks that can be checked out for a period of 21 days for listening to on a computer or portable audio device. Click the button below to access our Digital Downloads:
Note: OverDrive has recently introduced some major changes to their service, and we are still working on updating some information on this page. While we continue to update our information, here is a useful introduction to the new features of OverDrive.
Getting Started with Audiobooks
Here is a brief overview of how to get started with downloadable audiobooks on a computer (here is a printable version of these instructions):
1. Download and install the OverDrive Media Console software. Here are specific instructions for Windows and for Mac.
2. (Windows only) The first time you open the OverDrive Media Console or download an audiobook, you may be prompted to complete a one-time security upgrade for Windows Media Player. If the automatic upgrade does not work, you can perform the upgrade at http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/indivsite/en/indivit.asp . This step must be done using Internet Explorer.
3. Find audio titles to check out in our Digital Downloads site. Here are some tips for searching. Note that some books are not available in formats suitable for all computers; please see this information about the differences in audiobook formats.
4. Once you've checked out a title, click "Download." Audio files should open automatically in the OverDrive Media Console (OMC) on your computer. You can also use OMC to transfer them to a mobile device.
Most of OverDrive's downloadble audiobooks are in Windows Media Audio (WMA) format and require the OverDrive Media Console software. Here is an overview of downloading and using the software.
How to Download the OverDrive Media Console software:
How to Check Out and Download an Audiobook: Downloadable Audiobooks and iPods
Most downloadable audiobooks from OverDrive are now compatible with Windows-formatted iPods, but not with Macintosh computers.
If you have a Windows-formatted iPod and wish to try out downloading an audiobook, please look over this information first, and bear in mind that Library staff may not be able to assist you with technical difficulties. Also, please be aware that transferring these audiobooks to an iPod will probably be slow because of the conversion process required by the iPod.
OverDrive has a separate collection of Macintosh-compatible MP3 audiobooks; we now have a small collection of these titles available; watch for this collection to be expanded in the near future. Look for an "MP3" symbol to identify these audiobooks.
If you have an iPod Touch, please see these instructions for iOS (Apple) Mobile Devices. For information about other portable devices, please check this information about compatibility with OverDrive.
Check on the Current Top 10 Downloadable Audiobooks Reserves.
What to do if your e-mail address has changed
If you have e-reserves and have changed your e-mail address, you will need to update the e-mail address associated with each of your e-reserves to be sure you receive notification when the books become available. Please follow these steps:
1. Log into your digital downloads account.
2. Click on 'My eReserve List'.
3. Click 'Edit' next to the title and update the email address.
Still having trouble?
We understand that Digital Downloads can sometimes be tricky. You can submit a request for help and we will try to resolve your problem as quickly as possible.